Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Mules in Disguise" by Traci Carson

(Published in 2008)

Years ago when I worked at a Pack Station in the
Eagle Cap Mountains of Eastern Oregon I rode my first mule. I fell in love with the beast and decided I would buy one for myself. Boy, did I have a lot to learn about this stubborn breed. Although we worked through our issues and finally came to a compromise of the wills, we still from time to time battle at who is the master. No matter how hard I may try to change him into a horse, he is still a mule.

One particular year I took him to a New Year’s Eve party at an Equestrian Center where everyone brought their horses in for team penning. Instead of bringing my horse, I thought I would bring Donovan and get him acquainted with the calves and such. Well, things didn’t go as I had planned. Instead of rounding up the calves, he attacked them! I was shocked and very apologetic for my mule’s behavior. One cowboy laughed at me and said, “You can’t train them mules to round up cows. What’s wrong with you?” Although I disagree with him because I have seen mules round up cattle, my particular mule chooses NOT to.

My passion for mules was a preparation for ministry I think. Really, I’m not being a smart-aleck; ministry can be quite challenging as you deal with people who want to do it their way, or no way at all. Regardless of the challenges and frustrations, I passionately love God’s people.

The Mule is a cross between a donkey stallion (called a jack) and a horse mare. Both male and female mules have all the correct "parts" but they are sterile and cannot reproduce. A very few (about 1 in 1 million) mare mules have had foals, but these are very, very rare. No male mule has ever sired a foal. So if you cross a mule to a mule - you get nothing! Mules must be bred by crossing a donkey and horse every time.

My point here is you can cross stubbornness (donkey), with power, strength and conquest (symbolic of a horse) and come out spiritually sterile and unable to reproduce anything substantial in the sight of God. Over the years of riding mules, there were many times when I would run into people who thought my mule was a horse. They would ewe and awe over him and then they would cock one eyebrow up and then the other and say, “Is he part donkey?”

You can try to mask stubbornness and rebellion with power, strength, conquest and what some consider beauty, but in the end you are still a mule in the eyes of the Lord.

The Lord chose to ride a donkey through the streets of Jerusalem. This prophetic act was powerful as He was demonstrating submission to His Lordship as the only way to navigate into the New Jerusalem. He is not returning on a donkey or a mule, He is returning on an obedient majestic horse.

In our Lord’s second coming He is returning to the Spiritual Jerusalem on a white horse. In Revelation 19:11 we read where the heavens opened up and He who is Faithful, True and in Righteousness, who also judges and makes war is sitting upon a white horse. White is symbolic of purity, righteousness and holiness. The horse is symbolic of power, strength and conquest. He is returning in and through and upon a people who are holy, pure and righteous (in His righteousness). They abide in Him and not themselves. They are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, therefore being conquerors.

The New Jerusalem which is above and is free (Gal.4:26), and where we come unto Mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem…to the general assembly and church of the firstborn (Heb.12:22-23). The first Jerusalem (which is natural) was in bondage, but the second (spiritual Jerusalem) is not – Praise Jesus!

In Song of Solomon 1:9, the Bridegroom says to His bride, “I have compared you to a horse in Pharaoh’s chariot.” When you think about this statement, it is quite a compliment as a horse chosen for Pharaoh’s chariot is a horse that has allowed its independent spirit to be broken, and has won the affection and favor of the king.

The Holy Spirit presents Himself to you and me in the arena of life, waiting for us to come to Him (Ps.32:8-9). When we come to Him and allow Him to break us, we then begin to see the demonstration of a meek and quiet spirit. We must give the Lord permission to break all that is not of Him, allowing the breaking process within. If we constantly fight against His will and insist on our own rights, this breaking will never take place. We will watch others pass us by who trusted and allowed the breaking process and therefore "hitched to the chariot of the King" bringing Him forth in all His glory.

You will never see a mule hitched to the chariot of the King, no matter how beautiful, powerful or smart they are.



www.voiceofthetrumpet.org

5 comments:

  1. Your writing was awesome! :-) Thanks so much for sharing! I would love to read more of what you have shared in the past. May I?

    Even though we know we're following the leading of the Lord, it makes us feel so very "out there." But, more than anything else, we both are determined to be "led by the Spirit of God," and go where He wants us to go and to do what He wants us to do. There are times when I discern a fleshly tendency to want to do "my own thing," but it's only a momentary thing, a very quickly passing thing.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, how it all fits together wonderfully! Thank you again for sharing these wonderful treats! Being "broke" isn't fun, but it's sure worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this article, it fits perfectly with what is being said presently about being "unbridled". You should resend it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, have I been a mule or what! I thank God for His illuminating light to see and the Conviction to change in and through His strength, grace and mercy!

    ReplyDelete